The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has ordered its sitting members of parliament to immediately halt all campaigning in their districts.
In an effort to secure the necessary support to contest the proposed Constitutional Instrument (CI) for the election of 2024 from the Election Commission, the party has also prohibited its MPs from traveling.
The NDC and its MPs oppose the EC’s decision to require the Ghana card as the only form of identification while registering to vote in the upcoming general elections.
The NDC announced in a statement that the decision was approved by its Functional Executive Committee on Tuesday, March 7, 2023. The statement was signed by the NDC’s General Secretary, Fifi Fiavi Kwetey.
In an effort to defeat the new CI, the party also instructed its Members to regularly attend sessions of Parliament.
So, it designated the period beginning today and ending on March 31, 2023, as “Operation Save our Democracy,” to support its goal.
Read the full statement below;
We bring you greetings from the national secretariat of the NDC and trust this letter finds you in good health.
At its meeting held on Tuesday, March 7, 2023, the Functional Executive Committee of the National Democratic Congress in solidarity with the Minority Caucus’ fight against the obnoxious Constitutional Instrument the Electoral Commission is seeking to lay before Parliament, resolved that the period from the evening of 7th March 2023 up to the 31 March 2023 has been declared as “Operation Save Our Democracy:” Accordingly, FEC issues the following directives:
1) All campaign activities in all constituencies with sitting NDC MPs are hereby suspended.
2) All sitting NDC MPs, shall be required to attend all Parliamentary sittings.
3) No NDC MP shall undertake any travel that will affect his or her attendance in Parliament. 4) Any MP who has traveled is hereby recalled immediately.
5) All regional and constituency executives and aspirants are directed to ensure strict compliance with the directives herein.
6) All parliamentary aspirants, are hereby directed in their own interest, to strictly adhere to these directives as breach of same shall attract severe sanctions.
The dates for the filing of nominations, vetting of parliamentary aspirants, and parliamentary primaries shall remain unchanged.
Please treat this as urgent.